40 heavy-duty hunting must-haves
While hunters always seem to remember their rifles and shells when heading afield, they often overlook a number of other equally important items that belong on every big-game outing. Here are 40 essentials you should always stuff in your hunting pack.
1. Parachute cord: Repairing packs, tying stuff down, making slings, etc.
2. Duct tape: Unleashing your inner-Red Green.
3. Electrical tape: Covering your rifle muzzle.
4. Bandaging tape: Taking care of a wide variety of first aid uses.
5. Hot Mocs: Warming up cold feet.
6. Hiking pole: Keeping steady on steep terrain.
7. Gaiters: Keeping debris, snow and water out of your boots.
8. Belt cartridge holder: Carrying extra shells close at hand.
9. Multi-tool: Cutting, gripping, screwing and much more.
10. Scalpel & spare blades: For caping.
11. Folding knife: Gutting, skinning and a host of other applications.
12. Sharpening steel: Touching up dull knives.
13. Resealable bags: Packaging game meat.
14. Electrolyte tablets: Rehydrating after hiking hard in warm weather.
15. High-energy snacks: For fuelling up after a hard day.
16. Emergency locator: Getting rescued.
17. GPS with mapping: Knowing where you are, and where you’re going.
18. Compass: Replacing a failed GPS.
19. Tarp: Making a temporary shelter.
20. Fire starter: Building a fire, no matter what the conditions.
21. Lighter: Starting fires.
22. Flint & steel: Starting fires if your lighter fails.
23. Headlamp: Finding your way around and working in the dark.
24. Wind meter: Measuring wind speed when shooting.
25. Slope doper: Measuring the degree of angle you’re shooting at.
26. Rangefinder: Determining exactly how far you’ll be shooting.
27. Binos & harness: Carrying binoculars more comfortably.
28. Lens cloth: Keeping expensive optics clean.
29. Surveyor’s tape: Marking routes and blood trails.
30. Bipod: For keeping a steady aim.
31. Shooting sticks: Keeping a steady aim when a bipod is impractical.
32. Latex gloves: Keeping your hands clean while field dressing.
33. EZ Towels: Cleaning duties (just add water!).
34. Baby wipes: Keeping your hands and body clean.
35. Toilet paper: Making you happy you didn’t forget it.
36. Compact camera: For preserving memories of a lifetime.
37. Butt pad: Keeping your rear end warm and dry.
38. Water bladder: Transporting water.
39. Pack cover: Keeping your pack and contents dry.
40. Tape measure: Green-scoring that trophy of a lifetime.